About Liberty Power’s Bright Horizons Scholarship
Liberty Power has partnered with the United States Hispanic Chamber of Commerce to support education, particularly in the areas of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics or STEM education in the United States.
We invite students currently enrolled in an accredited two or four-year university that have an interest in the field or the environment or energy to apply for Liberty Power’s Bright Horizons Scholarship that will award one $10,000 scholarship and two $5,000 scholarships.
Applications are due Sunday, August 25th at 11:59PM EST. This year’s inaugural award winners will be publicly announced at the USHCC National Convention in Chicago held on the dates of September 15th to the 17th. To learn more, read our FAQ section.
Headquartered in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, Liberty Power is the largest independent retail electric supplier in the United States based on 2012 KEMA rankings of electric retailers. The company is also the first certified, minority-owned supplier with a national footprint, and the largest Hispanic-owned energy company in the United States according to Hispanic Business.
As a retail electricity supplier, Liberty Power purchases electricity on the wholesale market which it then sells to consumers on a retail level. We help large and small businesses, government agencies and residential customers address their energy challenges in the area of price and risk mitigation as well as sustainability. Liberty Power celebrated its 10-year anniversary on September 13, 2012, marking ten years of serving electricity and exceptional customer service.
Liberty Power is one of only five retail electricity providers licensed in 16 or more deregulated markets in the United States and operating in more than 50 utility territories. Liberty Power is currently serving customers in California, Connecticut, Delaware, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Texas, and Washington, D.C.
Did You Know Liberty Power is…
- Named Largest Hispanic-owned Energy Company in the United States by Hispanic Business
- Named 9th Largest Hispanic-owned company in the U.S. overall by Hispanic Business
- Now serving over 10M MWh of retail electricity (equivalent of serving more than 1 million homes)
We are Powerful Together!
For more information on Liberty Power, please visit www.libertypowercorp.com
The USHCC actively promotes the economic growth and development of Hispanic entrepreneurs and represents the interests of over 3 million Hispanic-owned businesses across the United States that together contribute in excess of $465 billion to the American economy each year. It also serves as the umbrella organization for more than 200 local Hispanic chambers and business associations in the United States and Puerto Rico. Follow us on Twitter @USHCC.
Q: Who is eligible for the scholarship?
- Students must be currently enrolled in an accredited two or four-year university
- Must demonstrate a proven interest, experience or idea related to energy or the environment
- Ability to travel to Chicago on September 15 – 17th
- Must be 18 years or older by August 31, 2013
Q: Do I have to be of a certain ethnicity to apply?
- No. Liberty Power embraces diversity and welcomes students of any race, color, religion, gender, or sexual orientation.
Q: What are the key dates I should be aware of?
- August 25, 2013 – Applications are due before 11:59 EST
- Early September – Award winners are notified
- September 15 - 17, 2013 – Recipients announced at USHCC Conference in Chicago
- Before December 31, 2013 – Award funds will be dispersed to the winners
Q: What is the amount of the scholarship award?
- For 2013, there will be three award winners: one grand prize winner for $10,000 and two runner-ups for $5,000 each.
Q: If I don’t win, can I apply again next year?
- Yes, you are welcome to apply again the future so long as you remain eligible
Q: If I win, who covers the travel expenses?
- Your airfare and hotel stay will be covered.
Q: What if I cannot attend the USHCC National Convention?
- You must be able to be present to the awards presentation ceremony on September 16 in order to win the scholarship. If you cannot attend, we welcome you to apply in the future.
Q: What if I have additional questions?