It’s not always easy to find a way to LIGHT-en the mood in a dorm room, but the following will get you on the right path to illuminating those drab walls.
- Desk Lamps – Unless you’ve got superhuman powers and can see in the dark (if you do, we’re jealous), you’re probably going to need a desk lamp. It’ll come in handy when your roommate is ready for lights out and you still have chapters to pore over for tomorrow’s midterm.
- Floor Lamps – Sometimes you just need a break from the harsh fluorescent ceiling lights. Floor lamps can provide a softer lighting alternative as well as add to your room’s décor.
- Book Lights – Calling all bookworms! A book light is perfect for nights when sleep is hours away and reading is the only thing that won’t wake up your roommate. It’s also a great gadget when you can’t bear to watch another re-run on television.
- Light Bulbs – You can’t turn the lights on without light bulbs! Make sure to have a few extras in case one goes out (and they always do at the most inopportune times!) Try compact fluorescent (CFL) bulbs. They’re energy-saving and make a positive impact on the environment as well.
- Flashlight – In case your light bulbs do let you down, you’ll definitely want to have a flashlight handy to navigate the collection of stuff you and your roommate have accumulated over the course of the semester. You don’t want to trip over those foam fingers, old pizza boxes or piles of books!
- Decorative Lighting – Holiday lights, Chinese lanterns, electric candles… get creative when dressing up your dorm room! Just make sure it’s okay with your roommate, otherwise you may have to draw a line down the middle of the floor and stay on each other’s respective sides. Talk about Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.
Stay tuned for all the miscellaneous – but much needed and very helpful – dorm incidentals you may overlook when making the big move off to college. You definitely don’t want to miss these!