FAQs for the 2017 Bright Horizons Scholarship
Q: Who is eligible for the scholarship?
- Students who are currently enrolled in an accredited two or four-year public or private university in the United States
- Students who have completed at least one full semester of college
- Students who are pursuing a degree related to science, technology, mathematics, or engineering. We are looking for students who have an interest in energy and the environment
- Students must be 18 years old by October 1, 2017/prior to date of travel to the USHCC Annual Convention
- Students must be able to prove they are a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Students must have the ability to travel to Dallas, Texas on October 1-3, 2017
- Students must submit a signed release allowing Liberty Power the right to use their submitted application materials for public and promotional purposes (personal/family and financial references will not be used)
- Finalists only:
- Must submit a headshot
- Must provide an official picture ID (driver’s license, state ID, passport)
- Must agree to a background check
- Must submit their official school transcript (electronic version accepted)
- Must complete at least one additional essay question
Q: Do I have to be of a certain ethnicity to apply?
- No. Liberty Power embraces diversity and welcomes students of any race, color, religion, gender, or sexual orientation.
Q: Am I eligible to submit an application if I am an employee of Liberty Power?
- No. Liberty Power employees, contractors and relatives of employees or contractors are ineligible to submit a scholarship application.
Q: What are the key dates I should be aware of?
- Sunday, July 30, 2017 – Applications are due before 11:59PM EST
- September 1-8, 2017 – Award winners are notified approximately 3-4 weeks prior to USHCC Convention
- October 1-3, 2017 – Recipients announced at USHCC Conference in Dallas, Texas
- Before December 31, 2017 – Award funds will be dispersed to the winners
Q: What is the amount of the scholarship award?
- One (1) first place winner ($10,000)
- One (1) second place winner ($6,000)
- One (1) third place winner ($4,000)
Q: If I don’t win, can I apply again next year?
- Yes, you are welcome to re-apply again the future so long as you remain eligible
Q: If I win, who covers the travel expenses?
Your airfare and hotel stay will be covered. You will also receive a $400 stipend.
Q: What if I cannot attend the USHCC National Convention?
Attendance at the Convention’s awards presentation ceremony on Tuesday, October 2 is mandatory in order to win one of the scholarships. If you cannot attend, we welcome you to apply again in the future.
Q: What else takes place at the USHCC National Convention?
- Click here to view the Convention’s website and their schedule of events.
Q: What if I have additional questions?
- For further information, please call Robyn Espejo at Liberty Power: (954) 598-7098, firstname.lastname@example.org or Lucero Pina at the USHCC Foundation, email@example.com.